Well I couldn’t pass up on that alliteration could I? …Anyway hello to you, I hope you’re enjoying the fine weather we’ve been having lately. Should we place our bets on a late blast of winter in March? I really hope not. The weather has been so good, that Andrew and I have managed to tick off nearly all of our hard landscaping projects for the year and its only the end of February. Today’s post is about the first of those projects the greenhouse, so lets get to it.
So this is was what we started with last year. A falling down, rotting wooden greenhouse tucked away behind a wall of ivy and some overgrown shrubs. It was also filled to the brim with the packaging from our new carpets, but we can just ignore that.
During the many snow days we had last winter, we got stuck in and cleared the way to allow more light in. For some reason there was a 6ft timber pole right in front of the door. If anyone has any ideas on the purpose of the pole, please do let me know in the comments.
So exactly a year later the greenhouse looked like this. What a transformation right?! Ok, so time got away from us last year and we abandoned the greenhouse in favour of other projects, but we got back to it last month. Or I should say, Andrew got back to it and has achieved a heck of a lot in the last 4 weeks.
First off, he got rid of the old one, while saving the glass for a future cold frame project.
Next, it was time to level the ground in preparation for slabs.
We were really lucky to have power already piped in to the old greenhouse. Hence the plastic bag over the sockets in the corner.
Once the slabbing was complete, Andrew moved on to cleaning up the weeds around the retaining wall before freshening everything up with a couple of coats of paint.
Then we started on the greenhouse build. It wasn’t an easy one. There were a thousand bolts at least and the instructions were not the best. Oh and I almost lost an eye in the process, but after a few false starts and a couple of YouTube tutorials later, we got through it!
Originally, I dreamed of a cedar greenhouse in white, with dwarf walls and an elegantly old feel. In this tight spot though, it didn’t make sense. So we went with low maintenance and functional instead. The plan is to add a second greenhouse one day, once I’ve saved my pennies, up by the kitchen garden that looks more like this.
Anyway, once the greenhouse was done, Andrew set about landscaping around the sides and back. He built a small stone wall creating a raised bed area for herbs, then laid weed membrane and gravel over the rest for ease. I’ll likely use it to store autumn planted pots over winter or maybe as a plant theatre of sorts.
My favourite features of the new greenhouse are the zero threshold doorway, which makes it super easy to sweep out. Along with the automatic opening windows, that slide open if the temps get too hot. I also ordered a large staging area for seedlings and a secondary shelf above for tools, providing ample space for spring growing.
The heated propagator ready for action.
And here is the after. I love how it turned out and take my hat off to Andrew for the many hours he put in!
The greenhouse we chose is the Eden Burford 8ft x 6ft from Greenhouse Stores. I ordered it with toughened glass, guttering, apex finials, automatic roof vents, and side staging as extras.
Mission complete and after all that, I started sowing seeds in it over the weekend and then promptly brought them indoors for more consistent heat! It is still rather cold at night, but I’m sure this spot will be filled to the brim with little seedlings very soon! x